Sunday 9 March 2014

Programme Cover image - Peter and the Wolf

Hand drawn/traced from sketch in ink; coloured in Photoshop
March 2014


As part of my current dayjob I help put together event programmes. Usually I'm only responsible for the copy, but in this case the opportunity arose to do some artwork for the cover and I jumped at it. I had wanted to do an actual painting but there wasn't time, so it's another sketch-ink-scan-Photoshop job which I had to complete in one night. It's not my favourite thing I've ever done, but it'll definitely do the job. In truth, the main things I wanted to put across were to make sure the silhouettes of Peter and the main characters were easily recognisable and that the wolf... well, that the wolf looked threatening but not overtly sinister. I really like wolves and they get a bad press in general, especially among little kids who will be forming the majority of the audience at this concert, so I tried to go for something less cartoony. Again, it isn't perfect, but I like the pose and the eyes - it goes some way to conveying that it's a powerful animal but not the salivating hell-hound of fairy tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment