Saturday 14 June 2014

Illustrations for Exquisite Terror - Buffalo Bill


Pencil
June 2014


Naila from Exquisite Terror asked for one more picture for the Silence of the Lambs piece, this time one of Buffalo Bill (who I think had ended up featuring in the essay I was to illustrate a little more than originally anticipated). I chose this one over the "tuck" or similar, just because I think it's a great image. It was hard to find a decent resolution of the photo from which to work, but actually this wasn't a bad thing overall. You don't draw every single tiny detail in minute detail, after all, but an impression of what's there - much like a photograph with not-so-great resolution.

Drawing this did make me reappreciate all over again what a great villain he is and what a particularly excellent combination of qualities Ted Levine brought to his portrayal of Jame Gumb. His face is at once flabby, loose-skinned and almost skeletal; he has this overall look that shifts between being dangerous, sexual and stupidly goofy.It's a powerful portrayal and I hope the image goes even a tiny way toward illustrating some of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment