Monday 8 September 2014

A present for James


Colouring pencil
September 2014


A birthday present for a very dear friend, which took a lot longer than it should have because, try as I might, I could NOT get to grips with Vincent Price's head shape, a fact that is both stupid and humbling. This picture actually began life in pastel pencil but very quickly became incredibly frustrating and had to be thrown out and started again. I can see the appeal of pastel pencil in some circumstances I suppose, but honestly, it's so much nicer to have the fine detail and control of a regular colouring pencil, especially on a small scale.

Once it was done, I cropped it to fit in a landscape frame (about 16x10 inches) which helped balance the slightly squiffy composition. Not much else to say about it - I didn't quite capture Christopher Lee correctly and that is a shame, but hopefully Vincent will make up for it in the eyes of the recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment