Wednesday 16 December 2015

A Present for Sarah - Return to Oz


Colouring Pencil
December 2015


I'm pleased with this for several reasons:

1. It's a surprise present for a very dear friend of mine and I'm very hopeful that she'll really like it.
2. Out of necessity, it was completed in limited time and with limited resources (I had no time to paint like I'd planned and had to use colouring pencils; I only had access to a basic box of twelve which really restricted what I could do).
3. Again, as is often the case when working with secondary image sources (usually online, which often adds an extra layer of difficulty) rather than painting from life, finding pictures of a decent size and quality from which to work was nearly impossible. I had to create this as a composite of several different images to get the various details right, and the changes in tone between each image caused issues in keeping colour and shade continuity (as did the fact I basically had a choice of eight colours for the whole thing) - it doesn't come across so well in the scan, but the colours in the final piece were quite subtle on her face and looked pleasing.
4. IT'S ONE OF THE BEST FILMS EVER. I mean it. Go rewatch it if you don't believe me, or just read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment